While the benefits of staying healthy and fit during pregnancy are great, it can also be very challenging to achieve. For many gestational surrogates, finding the time and energy to eat right and exercise throughout this exciting journey can be much easier said than done. The best way to stick with a routine that will keep you active and feeling great during your surrogacy is finding what will fit your needs and work with your unique lifestyle. To get started with some simple, proven techniques that can be applied daily or frequently, consider the following:
- Keep walking. Contrary to common belief, you do not need a hardcore workout routine to stay fit. Simply walking for 30 – 60 minutes per day is a great way to keep you moving and feeling healthy. If you’re lacking energy, cut your walks down to shorter periods of time. You may find that you gain more energy once you get started.
- Record your routine. The best way to hold yourself accountable and stick with your fitness and nutrition goals is to write everything down. Not only is this a great way to keep track of your eating and exercise during your pregnancy, it could also turn into a journal or log of your surrogacy experience.
- Focus on your core. Using your deep core muscles can help alleviate potential pregnancy back aches and lead to an easier delivery. While you’ll want to avoid traditional crunches and only run with doctor’s approval, low impact cardio, using the elliptical machine or treadmill, and Pilates are great for targeting your core muscles without much discomfort.
- Bond with your Intended Mother. Finding a workout buddy is one of the best ways to stay motivated when it comes to reaching your fitness goals. Why not spend this time getting to know your Intended Mother? Consider attending a weekly Pilates or yoga class, or simply going for walks and cooking a healthy a meal together.
- Workout at home. Sometimes it can be difficult or even impossible to make it to the gym. For these instances, keep some prenatal workout videos on hand to do in the comfort of your own home. These specific workout routines are designed with modifications to fit your different energy levels and are great solutions to keeping you active even when the gym is not a possibility for the day.
- Keep it simple. As with any workout situation, be sure to always keep water nearby and drink plenty of it. As your surrogacy progresses, your workouts will begin to feel more difficult. This is normal, so listen to your body and avoid overdoing it. If you need to slow down, that’s okay!
Be sure and consult with your physician regarding the amount or intensity of exercise you should be doing while pregnant before starting any kind of exercise routine. Staying in good shape throughout the duration of your pregnancy is important for both your own as well as the baby’s health. Even the simplest daily activities can make a world of difference when it comes to keeping you active and feeling great, not to mention, provides some excellent opportunities to bond with your Intended Mother!
If you would like to learn more about staying healthy throughout gestational surrogacy, do not hesitate to contact us at Surrogate Solutions today!
Why use an agency, Surrogate Requirements, Can I be a Surrogate?, Facts about Surrogacy, Information on surrogacy, What our agency can offer you , Surrogacy FAQs, Families who need you, Learn more, Apply now.